Warning: Toxic Mold Can be Inside Your Baby’s Teething Toy! [Video]

Toxic Mold Can be Inside Your Baby’s Teething Toy! Be careful when buying toys for your kids!

For many parents the teething process can present challenge. There’s the troubling sleeping, the crying, rejecting of food, etc.

Toxic Mold Can be Inside Your Baby's Teething Toy

A lot of parents, make huge effort to soothe their child’s discomfort. They decide to buy them a teething toy like the popular Sophie the Giraffe for example. But teething toys can present one very serious risk of their own – mold.

A mother learned about the mold potential in teething toys the hard way. She noticed a very unpleasant smell coming from her child’s Sophie the Giraffe.

When she cut the toy to open and see, she saw this.

As you can imagine, This woman  was horrified. Her profession is dentist and she had been recommending the product all the time to her clients.

Then came the grim realization that she wasn’t alone. Indeed,  other parents as well have discovered black mold growing inside their child’s teething toy.

Toxic Mold

How does this happen?

These toys have actually an air hole at the bottom. That allows children to squeeze the toy. It also has a unwanted second function; letting moisture in.

As one mom wrote on Amazon, “if you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with [mold]!”

What’s the danger of toxic mold?

According to Dr. Ackerly the black mold can release toxins that lead to severe allergies.

Molds are bad and can produce toxins such as mycotoxins. They are poisonous and can cause allergic reactions in some people so it is best not consumed,” she said, adding, “particularly by babies.”

How can you prevent this?

Vulli – the company that manufactures Sophie the Giraffe – told the Daily Mail that parents should“carefully respect” the cleaning instructions included with the toy.

“It’s very important to know that [Sophie the Giraffe] is composed of 100 % natural rubber. Parents should carefully respect the cleaning instructions.”

“We recommend cleaning the surface of the toy with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in the water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside, as she may become damaged.”

Dr. Ackerly recommends buying teething toys that you can easily dry out in order to avoid water becoming stale inside.


Source: DavidWolfe

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *