No Stress, No Cold With These Aromatherapy Shower Melts
This is great natural version of shower melts or “shower soothers”. We can infuse them with menthol and/or rosemary, eucalyptus, and other essential oils which have soothing effect during a cold. Just add hot water from the shower, and a soothing steam will fill the air. It eases coughs or congestion.
You don’t have to wait until you catch a cold to use this amazing recipe. Aromatherapy is proven to reduce stress, so you can sometimes make it just for fun.
Natural Shower Aromatherapy
The real beauty for making natural recipes from scratch is that you can make them to order! Make shower melts with lavender or citrus or rose for an aromatherapy shower anytime. It also makes a great gift!
CAUTION: A qualified health practitioner or aromatherapist will give you an advice about essential oil precautions for pregnant mothers or children. Menthol and strong essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint are especially strong for use.
Soothing Shower Melts Recipe
This homemade recipe is easy and fun to make. It is also easy enough for the kids to help out too!
- 1 cup baking soda
- up to 2 tsp of water
- 1/2 cup sea saltor Epsom salt
- essential oils: 20 drops each of eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, rosemary, and lemon
- 1 tsp powdered menthol crystals(optional). To get a powder, I bought crystals and crushed them between parchment paper.
- Combine salt/Epsom salt, baking soda, and mix well.
- Drop or spray small amounts water into the mix. Stir until you get the consistency of slightly wet sand.
- When squeezed, mixture should hold together without crumbling. It should not appear wet at all. If it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet, you may need to add little more water
- Once you get this texture, add the essential oils and menthol crystals and stir to combine.
- Quickly push mixture into greased muffin tins, silicon molds, or any other greased container. Press in and leave at least 24 hours or until hardened.
- When dry, remove and store in airtight container.
How to Use
- Just outside of the shower stream place 1-2 melts on the floor of the shower.
- Let the hot water and steam do its work! Enjoy!
- Check the amount of water used if the melts dissolve too fast. Stop adding water as soon as the mixture holds together. If the melts dissolve too slowly, pack them a little more lightly on the next batch, allowing more space for the water to get in and dissolve the melt.
- Store away from light and For strongest scent and best results, use within 1 month